Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Malapropisms

A malapropism is the incorrect use of a word by substituting a similar-sounding word with different meaning, usually with comic effect. (Thanks wikipedia.) You can imagine that in grading roughly 800-900 essays per semester, I happen to run across a few of these. They are quite often the highlight of my day because I tend to get a little grumpy when grading essays. No, I did not become an English teacher because I like to grade research papers. In fact, I just finished grading 60 rough drafts that take at least 10 minutes each. I was quite excited when I completed the last one until I realized the final drafts are coming in on Monday. Ugh.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a humorous post. I keep a running list in my gradebook of the malapropisms my students use in their writing. I refer to it when I need a good laugh. Wouldn't these make a great book one day? I threaten my students that I will publish a book with their name attached to their malapropism.
  • kicked out of bounce (bounds)
  • another words (in other words)
  • repetitive things really get on my nervous! (nerves)
  • don't take it for granite (granted) **I have seen this one twice.
  • across the border (board)
  • cold slaw (cole) **incidentally Cole Slaw was my nickname in high school
  • lactose and tolerant (intolerant)
  • spinning image (spitting)
  • tidbid (tidbit)
  • goat cars (go-carts)
  • Sixteen Chapel (Sistene)
  • ro-model (role model)
  • heart-ranching story (wrenching)
  • in the mitts of (midst)
  • pass-time (pasttime)
  • kitten caboodle (kit and) **I must admit this one is mine!

Hopefully you are beginning to see my dilemma in trying to decide how best to improve their writing. Where do I even begin?

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I love that you are keeping up with those! They do make me laugh!!

Anonymous said...

I was at a meeting with a parent, and the mom said, "It's a catch 20/20."

I'm reading posts from before I started reading your blog. I like going back...