Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness

Today my juniors discussed the American Dream and how it has become corrupted into what is now just the pursuit of wealth.  After many admitted that their ultimate goals revolve around material comfort (which I know is not a bad thing in and of itself), they realized that maybe they should alter the ways they define success.  They all seemed to agree that it is much better to pursue happiness.  But I wonder, is that really any better?  Isn't that equally as self-absorbed?  And my life has proven that happiness is a fleeting emotion.  Happy one minute, angry the next...  I delicately insinuated that maybe there is something even bigger than happiness out there.  I think most of them understood what I was saying while I could not really say it.  One of my favorite comments of the day was from an always insightful student who said that men will never be able to make themselves happy because we live in a fallen world.  Amen to that.  My daily challenge is to remember my purpose for this life...not happiness or wealth, but a life that honors Him. 

No comments: