Sunday, October 18, 2009

Nebraska and Nigusu

Today was an ideal day in the McAffry house - well, except for the half inch bone I crunched on while eating leftover Calhoun's barbecue. Note to self: Remember giving up barbecue a decade ago after pulling pork all weekend for a church fundraiser? That was a good idea. Never succumb to the pig again. Never.

Anyway, back to the scheduled programming. I spent most of the afternoon rereading The Awakening and The Scarlet Letter on the couch while Andrew watched football. Every now and then he attempts to talk football with me, and being the sweet wife that I am, I try to pretend I know something about this sport that he so enjoys. Today when he mentioned Tom Brady, hoping to participate meaningfully in the conversation, I said, "Who does he play for? The Nebraska Patriots?" The minute it escaped my mouth I wanted to stuff it back in. No, Sarah! Never volunteer unsolicited information about sports not involving a racquet. I learned my lesson, and I'm afraid Andrew did as well. We spent the rest of the afternoon silently enjoying our respective hobbies.

Since we were unable to attend Catalyst this year, I've been watching any video I can find. This one in particular is unbelievable. If you have time, watch it in its entirety. Otherwise skip to 3:45 to see a Compassion child meet his sponsor of 19 years. We will never write a letter to Nigusu in the same way again. And I hope one day we can travel to Ethiopia to meet him. May we impact his life as this sponsor did for his child.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I think it's the New England Colts or something. Ha. Can't watch the video on our archaic computer so I'll try to catch it at school.

Sheila said...

I had just watched this video on another blog and emailed you about it. Then saw it on yours! Amazing. Your post had two lol's for me.
1. Never succumb to the pig!
2. Nebraska Patriots!

Too funny!!