Thursday, November 6, 2008

Things I Don't Love About Parent Conference Night

  • Being at school for 12 hours.
  • No parents showing up. 
  • If any do show, it's because their child has a B.  Seriously, cut the kid some slack.
  • The fact that none of my lower-level or failing students' parents ever show.  Hmmm...You think there might be a correlation here?  Never underestimate the power of parent involvement.
  • Having to explain a student's grade when most parents could access each grade from the semester online at any time.
  • Listening to parents make excuses for their child's lack of effort.
  • Calling parents who make promises I know they won't keep.
  • Leaving messages that I know won't be returned.
  • Realizing that I have no control over how these kids are parented.  I just have to use my 90 minutes a day wisely to try to make a difference.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.  I'll try to keep the pessimism to a minimum in the future.

1 comment:

Amy "Welch" Shave said...

I went to my first conference last week...as the parent.

Hopefully you're as bothered by this as I was. But, as one teacher said, "At least they sent somebody!"