Thursday, November 20, 2008

Confessions of a Non-Runner

I'm afraid a few weeks ago I had fooled myself into thinking I was a runner.  Seriously, I have the Gu, the iPod armband, and the utterly unfashionable reflective vest.  I even buy my running shoes at stores that pretend to sell shoes made just for you.  (Somehow they just always happen to be the most expensive pair available.  Coincidence?  Hmmm...)  Please forgive me if the training log to the left fooled you as well.    

So the race is only two days away, and I have run exactly 12.3 miles in the last two weeks.  I think I spent about two-thirds of my run on Monday just thinking of ways I could get out of it.  Short of wishing for a broken foot, I came up with nothing.  Honestly, if it wasn't for the Running Hope fundraiser that many of you so generously contributed to, I'm not sure if I would brave the 30 degree weather to run 13 miles.  

I'm just really disappointed with the way I have trained over the last few weeks.  It started great, but somehow I got off track.  I'm running slower than ever, and even short runs are pure torture.  I'm sure a lot of it is just mental, but my last few runs have just hurt.  All over.  Knees, calves, hams, hip flexor.  No amount of stretching seems to cure it.  (I apologize if you have heard me yelling at the top of any number of hills in Broadacres.  It seems to help to release the frustration.) 

So please think of me as you sit over a steaming cup of coffee Saturday morning.  I will likely be cold, hurting, and battling persistent thoughts that tell me to just stop and walk.  I'm not even worried about my time; I'm just hoping to finish the race.  

Of course, there is a silver lining.  We're celebrating at Big Ed's.   


4 comments:

Sheila said...

Dang that self-discipline gene you inherited from someone!!!!!

Mark B said...

Sarah,
Running is 90% in your head. The more pressure you put on yourself the less motivated you become. I've been there, I know. Just have fun with it. You've got the right idea with not setting a time goal, just finishing. My best runs have sometimes been the ones I felt unprepared for.

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you tomorrow. I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you right now. You're probably about halfway through (I'm estimating). Love you. Proud of you.t