Sunday, September 14, 2008

Vocabulary Lesson


I did a little role reversal with one of my classes on Friday and let them teach me some new vocabulary. (Only school-appropriate vocabulary of course!)  I'm not sure if they are trying to make me cool - wait, I mean fly - or if they just need some fodder to make fun of me in the hallways.  Either way, it made for an interesting class.  Here are my new favorite words:
  • coolin - a verb that replaces the now uncool "chillin"
  • chillax - a verb that combines the words chill and relax
  • nest - a noun denoting your home, a synonym for your crib
  • bird - a noun that means your mother (obviously, if your home is your nest, your mother is your bird - quite logical really)
  • jockin - I remember liking this word, but I have since forgotten the definition.  Looks like I'm going to need a review tomorrow.
  • uber nast - an adjective indicating that something is really fly (as in Mrs. McAffry is going to be uber nast if she learns how to use all of these words.)
At the end of class, I gave them their homework assignment: to chillax in their nest with their bird.  Apparently it is totally unfly to use too many words in one sentence.  I'm learning a lot this semester - and not only new vocabulary words.  It took a little longer to get these relationships off the ground, but we are making progress!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have another one to add to your list..."beat up." Not as in, "That old shirt is really beat up." But as in, "The fact that Nathan cheated on Molly is really beat up."

By the way, I used "crackin'" with my kids after one of your posts, and they said they didn't use that term, so I guess it's a regional thing!!!

Sarah C said...

That's a good one! I'll be working that into my vocabulary immediately!